Wednesday 29 April 2009

Life On Mars US version final episode

Well I skipped onto the last episode which concluded the series in a different way to the original. I'll not tell you how but personally I didn't like it much. You might-personal taste I think. It looked to me hurriedly thought out and didn't quite square with the story in the rest of the shows. Not that I didn't mind that in itself.

It's just that it gave the impression of them hearing of the series cancellation and they had to come up with a conclusion somehow. Why they didn't stay with the original story (I mean they even copied the shots and whole sections of the original) I don't know. Unless they were windy about telling a story where the hero commits suicide.

One possible alternative could have been Sam returning to 2008 and finding that a new recruit on his team was Annie's granddaughter and a dead ringer for her. The timing could be right if say for instance Annie had a child adopted when she was in College or High School. On a personal note this does happen in reality. I met my great aunt for the first time when she visited my mum's house when I came round to call one day. I could hardly tell them apart. Weird experience I can tell you. They even sounded the same.

What have I learnt by watching four samples of the US TV series craft?. I'd say that they couldn't afford the really talented writers, actors (excepting Kietel) and other creative staff. Who would be higher on Hollywood's food chain doing their stuff in the Movies. Whereas over here our best have to ply their trade in TV or take their chances and emigrate. Which on the whole is good news for us punters.

There was one flash of inspiration however. Watch out for Ray Carling who outlines his philosophy in a well written monologue near the end of the show.

Will I take the time to watch the other 10 or so eps? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment